Having read so much about Bluetooth wireless speakers and really wanting one for quite some time and naturally, looking around beforehand to compare the offerings, I finally took the plunge and opted for the JBL Charge Bluetooth Wireless Speaker from Amazon. The reviews of the JBL looked pretty good, so I chose this particular model after browsing and reading countless positive reviews. This is pretty much a quick review of the speaker and overall how I think it fairs having had it a fortnight or so.
In a word, I like it. It’s simple enough. It’s also quite small and about the same size as the average can of lager. A 3 hour charge and you’re off!. Most speakers from JBL ship partly charged I was told anyway in the reviews as mine was, so nothing stops you using it out of the box as I did. Personally, to get going I used it with Google Music and I. have found it pretty good for streaming music from both my phone and tablet and it’s rare I’ve found a connection issue (within 30ft is recommended anyway for Bluetooth connections). The sound is fair, as is the bass for something so small, and it’s ideal for small to medium sized areas or rooms, even ideal for maybe holidays or at a barbeque with some friends – it’ll handle them all effortlessly. Pairing is also very simple and it just involves a long press of the power button on the speaker, switch on the Bluetooth of your device, get paired and you’re off. The battery indicator is also fairly self explanatory – one light for low, two for medium and three for a full charge You get the idea. It also has audio and visual indicators for non paired, pairing and paired as you’d expect. One very interesting and very useful feature here is the fact the battery is so powerful you can charge your connected devices (cabled) from it’s battery whilst using it!. Bonus!. I’ve used it a few times on the move to add some juice to my phone.
Below are the general features. Overall, I rate it a fair 8/10.
Specs of the JBL Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Delivers unsurpassed portable audio performance from your mobile devices and tablets.
- More than 12 hours of playback time from its built-in, high-capacity, 6000mAh Li-ion rechargeable battery.
- Charge your other mobile devices on the go via its built-in USB port.
- With two 1-5/8-inch (41-millimeter) full-range drivers and a built-in bass port, it produces full-range JBL sound with exceptional bass.
- Wirelessly streams audio from any Bluetooth-equipped smartphone or tablet.
- Built-in bass port: Some portable speakers produce less-than-impressive bass. Not the JBL Charge. It has a built-in bass port and generates bass that similar portable speakers simply can’t equal.
It’s on sale here at Amazon.co.uk for £40 less than I paid. Bargain!.